Monday, June 13, 2011

NEVER, ever, ever, ever give up!

OK, so I have a tiny confession to make.  Friday, I MIGHT have been the only person without a life to show up to Masters Swim Practice.  *hanging head in shame*  It took GUTS to get there!  It took guts to swim for the coach in front of all the people splashing about recreationally.  It DID take guts.  TONIGHT?  It took nothing but sheer determination.  With four other swimmers, leaving me in a sea of bubbles....nothing but determination!



I truly wanted to give up tonight.   I never really want to give up.  Tonight, I wanted to throw in the towel and call it quits.  I tell ya, it was not because it was a tough workout, or because it hurt.  It was because it took me TWICE as long to complete the sets as everyone else.  TWICE AS LONG PEOPLE!  At one point, I literally ate my lane buddy's bubbles.  I thought I was going to drown!

I reached deep deep deep (I had to) down into my gut, and I pulled the full workout out of me somehow.  It was the biggest fight of nerves and determination I have ever had!  How bad do I want to do this?  Am I willing to come week after week and nearly drown in order to reach my goal?  Am I willing to humble myself in front of these guys and humiliate myself week after week.  The answer tonight was, YES!

I can not even see a finish line to my goal to compete.  What I CAN see is that I love this sport!  I love the way it makes me feel.  I love the way my body moves through the water.  I love that this is a sport that,  though I am S-L-O-W, comes very easy to me.  I WILL compete again one day!  I will!  It may take a year or ten, but it IS going to happen!

As for tonight, I am just proud I didn't give up!  I'm proud that I kept swimming even though I was repeatedly lapped.  I'm proud of what little bit I have accomplished no matter how slow I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment