Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Breathing...I think....

I started the morning out running late.  I hate days like that!  I was determined to swim today!  So I call the "Y" and ask (for like the 50th time) when lap swimming is.  I draw up the courage to go (because it is one thing to swim when no one is there to watch and the ones that are are generally...well...geriatric, shall we say).  We piled into the truck, and again I talked myself out of working out like 300 times before I actually got there. 

As I walked past the pool to enter the gym, I see SO MANY people sitting around and splashing about.  Not just that but young, beautiful life guards...like 12 of them!  I wanted to take my very large, old butt back to the truck and drive home so bad!  But fear of what others think is ANOTHER reason I ended up 125+ lbs overweight!

So what did I do?  I took a deep, shaky breath and marched into the gym.  I swiped my card, I took Alex to childcare, and then....I panicked!  What are these KIDS going to think of my big butt swimming?  Doing the walk of shame across the deck to the lap pool, I had to keep reminding myself to breath.  Trying to do my best to look like I do this all the time, which I do, I trip over my towel and nearly take out 2 lounge chairs!  UGH!  This was not how I wanted to start out!

So I swam my 2000 yards.  I pushed it pretty hard today too.  Some days the water feels smooth and easy.  Some days it is like all you do is fight the water, and that today.  After 100 yards, I thought I wouldn't be able to finish.  I pressed on and when I was done I looked at my watch, only 45 minutes had passed!  How exciting!!!  The first day I swam it took over an hour to do 1500 yards!  Progress is good! 

I, also ran into my new friend Christina today.  She's a lifeguard, and new Masters swimmer.  Guess what yours truly will be starting Friday night!  Masters swim program.  Yes, I am going to bite the bullet and try it!  So wish me luck.  I am off to a good start I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment