Wednesday, June 15, 2011

No, I didn't drown.....But I almost did!

The good news?  I did not drown.  The bad news?  I almost did.  That MIGHT be an over exaggeration, possibly....

In all seriousness, I feel much better about the way I swam tonight.  I felt more fluid and coordinated.  That doesn't mean much coming from me as coordinated is never a word someone would use to describe me.  (Ask my Fall Ball buddies from last season!)  But I felt good about how I performed in practice today. 

I don't recall the last time my arms felt as sore as they do right now.  I don't recall the last time I was so tired from just hard work.  I will tell you, though, that I love every ache and pain.  It is like a tiny notch in my belt moving me that much closer to my goals!

So about drowning, we had a TOUGH workout today!  In the 2nd to last set, we had to do 400 free, with ascending 100's....which means every 100 is faster than the one before.  The last hundred you are sprinting.  (Have I mentioned that the last time I did this I was 16?  Just wanted to point that out again!)  OK, so I am in it!  Pushing, muscles screaming, legs burning, but I am SWIMMING and it felt good!  Then I hit the wall.

If you run marathons, you know ALL ABOUT THE WALL.  I hit it.  SMACK!  I could not breath.  Now this isn't like running where you can slow down, and walk.  NO I had to STOP!  Ms. Nazi, I mean Denise, comes over and is like, "You ok?!"  "Yeah, just lost my breath."  "How ya feel?"  (with that deceptively sweet voice and face) "Well, I'm not going to throw up, if that's what you mean."  "Good!  Gimme that last 50!!!  Go!"  So, I DIDN'T drown, but I thought I might! 


Today has been a good confidence builder for me for many reasons.  1. I'm down 3 more of the 7 lbs I gained while Steven was home on R&R.  WOOOH!!!!! (only 2 more to where I was when he got here!)  2. We did a lot of kicking tonight.  Kicking is my strong point!  3. I was NOT the slowest person tonight!!!!  YEA!!!!!

Now a fun day of swimming with my good friend, Christa, tomorrow.  I'm thinking I might get INSANE tomorrow morning, with some cardio recovery though ;)  And back at the grind Friday, for another night of torture with the swimming Nazi.  I feel genuinely happy for the first time in MONTHS!  Thank you, God, for blessing me with a second chance to pursue something I love so much!

3 comments:

  1. I love that you are finding this much joy in swimming! And congrats on those 3 pounds. Keep working it girl... you're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can use all the encouragement I can get too. This is much harder than I anticipated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! You are hilarious. Also, glad you didn't puke in the pool. That can't be any fun. :) Congrats on finishing the drill and on the 3 pounds!!

    ReplyDelete