Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Reasons why YOU should fall in love with Swimming!

I am from the south, the DEEP south, where accents are deep and tea is sugary sweet!  THE question is not what team do you cheer on, but rather "Alabama or Auburn".  THIS decides your status in the state.  A deep rich, FUN rivalry.  Football is EVERYTHING!  While I do enjoy Auburn football (WAR EAGLE!), I am a sweet southern Belle, after all.  Alabamian through and through!  There is another sport that holds my heart's strings and brings joy and excitement to my life.  If you know me at all, you know what this is!

There are a million reasons why one should fall in love and get into the sport of swimming.  I, myself, swam for 9 years competitively when I was young.  It holds a special place in my heart because it is such a HUGE part of my life.  I, however, am going to give you MY top 5 reasons:

1.  Swimmers really are the most down to earth athletes.  They love and appreciate their fans far more than any other sport.

2.  Swimming is a difficult sport, and unless you have ever done it, you can not imagine the pain, time, and dedication needed to be great at it.  Swimming uses every muscle in your body at all times! 

3.  Swimming gives back to the community endlessly!  When a swimmer becomes accomplished, their usual response is how can I use this to give back to those around me?  I know a lot of sports do this, but please see reason #1.  There is a certain genuineness in a swimmer you just do not find in any other sport.  They believe in the cause they support!



(You get the picture!)

4.  It is an individual AND a team sport!  You cheer on the team you want to win, be it a country, college, or program.  AND you can pick PEOPLE to cheer on!  I am of course a TEAM USA  and Auburn Swim fan.  However, I also follow several Australian, Japanese, etc swimmers who are VERY talented.  There is a flavor for everyone, and it is INTERNATIONAL!

5.  YOU can BE a swimmer NOW!  No matter what your age, you can get out there and get involved with the sport, NOW!  This sport has no age or skill limits!  Look over my blog.  Read my journey thus far.  I'm 31, and I am hoping to get back into the competition circuit, again.  If you are too old to swim in the collegiate or club level, you can get involved in the Masters program. 

These are just a FEW of the reasons I follow swimming.  I am a swimmer, and I adore this sport!  I hope that my enthusiasm will make you want to get your feet wet and dabble in the sport of swimming!  Open your heart and mind to an addictive, fun experience!  And go out an DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment